I didn’t think I’d ever come across an antique Side by Side Secretary that would be a good transformation candidate. Prior to finding this one, I had only come across a few, all of which held hefty price-tags. Rare beauties indeed they are!
When this one was shared with me, I spoke for it and scooped it up STAT! Although in solid form, even holding its’ original glass door and bevelled mirror… many of the carved appliques were badly damaged with portions missing… which in my humble opinion warranted a second chance.
One may have the opinion that such rare antiques should NOT be painted (left completely untouched rather). I most certainly agree with that opinion if the piece is in pristine condition, holds all original elements, and/or holds strong sentimental value. Yes… even I the gal with the paintbrush easily recognizes pieces that should NOT be painted. Painting an antique can certainly decrease the value, it however can also revitalize the charm and increase its’ usability in today’s modern world. Everyone deserves a second chance, furniture is of no exception.
My transformation process for this rare beauty:
- Removed caster wheels ~ a very delicate piece in which moving around on casters was too risky (tucked away for placement if desired)
- Removed drawer knobs, glass door, and bevelled mirror ~ worth the time and effort to ease product application
- Removed carved appliques ~ most were too far damaged/missing to even consider repair
- Opted to not remove hinges ~ I personally adore old farmhouse pieces where one painted right over them… and felt that for this piece
- Lightly sanded down entire piece ~ to remove flaking finish and to prepare for product adhesion
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed entire piece ~ certainly required before transforming any piece of preloved furniture
- Applied a thin spray coating of Zinnser B-I-N Shellac-Base Primer ~ to prevent highly anticipated bleed through
- When starting to apply my first coat of paint, I decided that the piece was lacking without appliques, so I purchased and installed some replacements from Lee Valley ~ impossible to find exact matches to the originals, but these are most certainly fine substitutes
- Applied 3 coats of Country Chic Paint in the colour ‘Vanilla Frosting’ to the body ~ a lovely farmhouse white with just the perfect hint of warmth to it
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint in the colour ‘Dune Grass’ to the interior shelving, cupboard, and fold-out ~ a beautiful duck egg blue with soft hints of grey and green
- Sanded entire piece down for a buttery smooth and slightly distressed finish ~ for the farmhouse chic look I adore and always strive for
- Applied Country Chic Paint Pearl Wax to the entire piece ~ to soften and tone down the application of grey wax, for added elegance, and for light protection
- Applied Country Chic Paint Grey Wax to the entire piece ~ to accentuate the charm, add some aging depth, and for light protection
- Reinstalled glass, mirror, and drawer knobs ❤
Ticking all the farm charm boxes — a rare antique beauty transformed with an abundance of repurposed opportunity for todays modern home or cottage. Accentuated charm, aged depth, victorian style, and timeless character — awaiting and eager for a second chance. Staged here as a Lavatory Cupboard, with many other enduring options — Book Case Storage, Linen Chest, Recipe Cabinet, Keepsake Case, Hallway Statement. Original caster wheels included should you fancy their addition.
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
❤ This Second Chance Secretary ~ Is for YOU ❤
DIMENSIONS: 76″ H x 39″ W x 12″ D
PRICE (Direct): $549 + Tax (Via eTransfer)
PRICE (Etsy): $598 + Tax (Via My Etsy Shop)
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.
I invite you to learn more about the exquisitely charming Country Chic Paint products that I am over the moon in LOVE with, and use in MANY of my transformations. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Get 10% OFF Your First Country Chic Paint Order (see image below for coupon code)
Shop online at Country Chic Paint today! ❤