Trying to be perfect is exhausting. If you can perhaps relate, and have found yourself stuck in a perfectionist spin cycle, I hope you find something that allows you to hit the PAUSE (and just breathe) button. 😌
As a web designer/developer, I have a really great way of satisfying my perfectionism (OCD)… coding truly has to be perfectly flawless in order to work, and digital files should be meticulously organized if you care to save yourself boatloads of time and headaches. Oddly, but perfectly… my web services have satisfied my need for perfection — drastically reducing my exhaustion.
And then I discovered furniture transforming (insert HUGE happy dance moment here)! I discovered a craft that not only allowed me to express my creativity, but also encouraged me to embrace imperfections — while teaching me that the only thing I should ever really hope to be perfect at is being the best version of my flawed and imperfect self.
When I brought this secretary desk home, it wasn’t perfect… and that was OK! And the transformation I envisioned for it certainly wasn’t a perfect one either — a sweetly imperfect one rather!
My sweetly imperfect transformation process:
- Removed hardware ~ uncertain whether I would use or replace
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed entire piece ~ certainly required before transforming any piece of preloved furniture
- Applied 3 coats of Canadian Homestead House milk paint in the colour ‘Stone Fence‘ ~ a light neutral with a soft barely there grey-green undertone
- Puddy-knifed and lightly sanded down ~ to add to the already chipping charm for a heightened and imperfect farmhouse feel
- Applied Canadian Country Chic Paint Hemp Oil for a protective and water-resistant surface ~ 100% all-natural sustainably sourced from Canadian farmers
- Installed Alternate Hardware ~ decided that the fold-down needed some help… so I installed a knob there, and 2 other knobs for the drawer (treasures from my stash)
- Decoupaged Inside of Drawer ~ with some 1964 Winnipeg Free Press newspaper I had on hand
A charmingly chippy character piece that would be just lovely in an entryway, hallway, or special nook. Secretary desks are such perfect anchors to jot thank you notes and reminders, for tossing keys, resting handbags, setting mail, and adding timeworn charm. Transformed in a soft and neutral tone that would blend well with almost any decor. Perfectly flawed, and naturally imperfect.
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
❤ This Stone Fence Secretary ~ SOLD to Barbara ❤
DIMENSIONS: 50″ H x 32″ W x 20″ D
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.