Memories. Isn’t it neat how some of them you hold so vividly? Although I only have a single one of my Great Grandma Phyllis… it’s a very strong one, and neatly so this antique dresser that once belonged to her is very much a part of that recollection I hold.
It was summertime. I was spending the day with a few of my extended cousins that I was lucky enough to build lifelong friendships with over the years. It was decided that we should stop by Grandma Phyllis’s for a lil’ visit. She kindly offered us some candy — from the top drawer of her bedroom dresser. Candy jar, candy bowl, candy drawer… all so sweet n’ special like Grandma’s aren’t they?! 😉
Fast-forward several years. My dear cousin and friend asks me if I might be interested in restoring a dresser she no longer has the room for — that once belonged to our Grandma Phyllis. Say what? Could it possibly be THE dresser that was part of my sweet memory of her?!
My sweet heirloom awakening process:
- Removed original hardware ~ with plans to brighten up just a wee bit
- Very carefully disassembled mirror ~ to find what appears to be a manufactured date of 1913!
- Repaired damage to top and one drawer with wood-filler ~ was hoping to stain the top and 2 drawers, the damage however was too extensive
- Lightly sanded down entire piece ~ to remove flaking finish and to prepare for product adhesion
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed entire piece ~ certainly required before transforming any piece of preloved furniture
- Applied 3 coats of Country Chic Paint in the colour ‘Sage Advice’ (with equal part ‘Vanilla Frosting’ to create a custom colour) to chosen portions ~ a wonderful and natural green that creates the perfect serenity for your home and cottage
- Applied 3 coats of Country Chic Paint in the colour ‘Vanilla Frosting’ to remaining portions ~ a lovely farmhouse white with just the perfect hint of warmth to it
- Sanded entire piece down for a buttery smooth and slightly distressed finish ~ for the farmhouse chic look I adore and always strive for
- Applied Country Chic Paint Pearl Wax to the entire piece ~ to achieve a subtle, pearlescent glow and light protection
- Noticed that there was remnants of Country Chic Paint Grey Wax in my brush ~ which created an even sweeter look than I was hoping for
- Subtly polished original hardware and reinstalled ~ with desire to maintain the tarnished look with a little added shine
- Carefully reassembled mirror ~ although not visible in my pics… it holds the most lovely bevellling
- Decoupaged inside of all drawers with some old music sheets I had on hand ~ a new craft that I’m having so much fun with that so ever-sweetly embraces imperfections
A sweet and awakening infusion of serenity and warmth; resulting in a unique and fresh transformation. Tranquil charm with a warm n’ welcoming farmhouse feel. Beautiful not only on the outside but also on the inside — where you’ll find old music sheets imperfectly, yet sweetly lined to soothe your soul. An heirloom passing from one family to another for which new memories will be made around. Pleasant and pleasing charm for that sweet n’ special space in your home or cottage retreat — that I feel my Great Grandma Phyllis would approve.
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
❤ This Sweet Heirloom Awakening ~ Is for MY GIRL ❤
DIMENSIONS: 35″+36″ H x 42″ W x 20″ D
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.
I invite you to learn more about the exquisitely charming Country Chic Paint products that I am over the moon in LOVE with, and use in MANY of my transformations. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Get 10% OFF Your First Country Chic Paint Order (see image below for coupon code)
Shop online at Country Chic Paint today! ❤