My hubs came picking with me one day a few weeks ago… and despite my lack of desire for this antique librarian’s desk, he loaded it up… thinking he knows me better than I do.
“You’ll for sure do something great with it!”
—”Nope… I don’t want it.” 👎🏻
“Yes you do.”
—”No, I really don’t.” 🙅🏼
“We’ll load it up.”
—“Oh geez you’re actually loading it.” 🤦🏼♀️
Here’s the thing. I have become ULTRA selective with buying pieces… because I assure you it can get ULTRA out-of-control VERY quickly… and a girl only has so much room to store her “stash”. I only buy what I personally adore, that has solid restoration potential, that I’m optimistic will resell, and that I have the storage room for. I didn’t adore this piece, my restoration bells weren’t chiming, I wasn’t overly confident it would sell, and I didn’t have the storage room for it. My hubs however thought he knew better than me… and I spent the drive home stewing about what I would do with it. Hmph! 🙎🏼
And then it came to me! One shall become two! Perhaps my hubs does know me better than I do! My transformation process:
- Removed handles, and gently disassembled piece ~ and one becomes two
- Mended and wood-filled interior sides ~ a necessary step when two is desired from one
- Reconstructed unmatched bottom area of right side piece ~ to appease my OCD
- Lightly sanded down ~ to remove flaking finish and to prepare for product adhesion
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed ~ certainly required before transforming any piece of preloved furniture
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint in the colour ‘Dune Grass’ ~ a beautiful duck egg blue with soft hints of grey and green
- Sanded down for a buttery smooth and slightly distressed finish ~ for the farmhouse chic look I adore and always strive for
- Applied 1 coat of Varathane’s ‘Diamond Wood Finish‘ (water-based, satin) ~ to achieve a crystal clear, water-resistant, and highly durable finish
- Applied Country Chic Paint ‘Furniture Glaze‘ in the colour ‘Limestone’ ~ to heighten the distress, and add some coastal charm
- Applied another coat of Varathane’s ‘Diamond Wood Finish‘ (water-based, satin) ~ necessary before wax application (after glaze), and for even more protection
- Applied Country Chic Paint Grey Wax ~ to add some elegant aging depth and even more protection
- Reinstalled handles ~ replacing the one unmatched with one I salvaged from middle desk drawer
- Decoupaged inside of all drawers with ‘Teal Distress’ Scrapbook Paper ~ a necessary step for drawers that were spattered with ink spills and riddled with stamp marks… this was my very first graceful attempt at this super fun craft… that I see MUCH more of in my creative future
What was once one is now two! Soulmates that know one another like no other, and are simply meant to be together forever. Turning their page to the next chapter side by side, with embrace and practicality. This once desk for one, is now tables for two! A versatile and unique pair offering spacious and deep storage as bedside or end tables. Farmhouse flare with a wave of coastal charm for your abode!
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
❤ These Soulmates ~ SOLD to Jane ❤
DIMENSIONS: 30″ H x 15.5″ W x 28″ D
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.
I invite you to learn more about the exquisitely charming Country Chic Paint products that I am over the moon in LOVE with, and use in MANY of my transformations. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Get 10% OFF Your First Country Chic Paint Order (see image below for coupon code)
Shop online at Country Chic Paint today! ❤