Hmmm… I wonder what the proper name is for this type of furniture? Is it a Lingerie Chest, a Tallboy Dresser, a Highboy Dresser, a Chifferobe, a Gentleman’s Chest? I am certainly left wondering, and curious to know.
Whatever type it is, I think it’s adorable. Of all the charming features, the little cupboard alone has my heart fluttering. Hmmm… I wonder what one stored within it yesterday, and what one will tuck into it tomorrow?!
My sad and bleak to farmhouse chic process:
- Removed dreadful, non-original hardware ~ with full intentions to replace with a more era-fitting set
- Removed original bevelled mirror from cradle ~ necessary for tidy paint application
- Lightly sanded down entire piece ~ to remove flaking finish and to prepare for paint adhesion
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed entire piece ~ certainly required before transforming any piece of preloved furniture
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint in the colour ‘Wanderess‘ to the entire piece ~ a soft, muted teal that will make you want to kick off your shoes and walk barefoot through the forest
- Sanded down entire piece for a buttery smooth and distressed finish ~ for the farmhouse chic look I adore and always strive for
- Applied Country Chic Paint Natural Wax to the entire piece ~ to prepare for ‘Antiquing Wax’ application (eases and tones), and for light protection
- Applied Country Chic Paint Antiquing Wax to the entire piece, putting emphasis on the detailed areas ~ to accentuate the charm, add some aging depth, and for additional protection
- Applied Country Chic Paint Gold Wax to the entire piece, putting emphasis on the detailed areas ~ to add a subtle shimmering luster, and for additional protection
- Purchased and installed new drop-pull hardware from Lee Valley ~ hands-down one of my fav places to shop
- Lined drawers with ‘Aspen Aloe’ Con-Tact self adhesive ~ for a lil’ made-with-love added touch
- Reinstalled mirror to cradle ~ original antique bevel charm
I know, I know… Gump is adorable ain’t he?! He is 1 of 3 kittens we adopted back in November of this year. Gump, along with brother Randal and sister Ria add many giggles to time spent in my studio! I can hear them running around in the upper loft above me (playing with their toys), and they’re always trying to sneak into my lower loft… curious as to what I’m up to… and wanting to keep me company. ❤
* * * Y’all! My initial plan was to only apply ‘Natural’ and ‘Antiquing’ wax… however while doing so, I decided that I’d also try applying some ‘Gold’ wax, and I’m soooo glad I did! Doing so added a sweet n’ subtle luster, that I feel was a game changer for this piece! Take a look at my ‘wax layering’ progress pics below to see what I’m talkin’ bout!
A quaint and distinctive piece that has me wondering. Is it a Lingerie Chest, a Tallboy, a Highboy, a Chifferobe, a Gentleman’s Chest? Despite my uncertainty of the style, I so enjoyed transforming and restoring it from sad and bleak to farmhouse chic. With the combination of distressing, wax layering, new drop-pull hardware, and adhesive lined drawers… this slender and ornate piece has me swooning. A tall and charming piece with a lovely combination of compartments making it an excellent piece for a variety of spaces — bedroom dresser, hallway accent, linen storage, lavatory addition, nursery compartment, and more. Hmmm… perhaps I now have you wondering!
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
❤ This Wondering Wanderess Chest ~ SOLD to Jennifer ❤
DIMENSIONS: 48”+24″ H x 32” W x 20” D
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.
I invite you to learn more about the exquisitely charming Country Chic Paint products that I am over the moon in LOVE with, and use in MANY of my transformations. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Get 10% OFF Your First Country Chic Paint Order (see image below for coupon code)
Shop online at Country Chic Paint today! ❤️