I’m so glad you’re here… as I have something exciting and new to share with you!
A little over two years ago (Feb ’17), I did my very first furniture transformation… and haven’t been the same gal since! I simply CAN NOT STOP painting furniture… spending every spare moment I can beg, borrow or steal to do so!
In 2017, I quickly fell over the moon in love with Country Chic Paint’s clay-based paint (a.k.a. chalk paint), and simply adore the ‘distressed’ look I can so very consistently and predictably achieve with it!
Although I will forever love the ‘distressed’ look, I have also been ACHING for the ‘chippy’ look… and that my friends is where milk paint comes in!
Milk paint however is NOT consistent and predictable like chalk paint. Upon my research, I learned that milk paint has a mind of its’ own (you’ll never quite know what you’ll get)… which in my opinion is a HUGE part of its’ charm! “Let the chips fall where they may” so to speak! 😉
I was elated to find a highly recommended Canadian company that carries milk paint. Homestead House is currently Canada’s only milk paint manufacturer, offering a delightful selection of colours! 🇨🇦
So here I am today, no longer aching for chippy. I now HAVE my chippy! ❤
So as I was saying — milk paint is known to NOT be predictable and consistent. You’ll either get a lot of chipping, a lil’, or none at all! And this I know to be true… as I tried it on a piece prior to this one and got the latter — NONE… which is totally fine and cool… just a different look is all! After doing some more research, I learned that if your piece has some finish on it, it’s more likely to chip… which holds true from my experience, as my prior piece had absolutely NO finish on it. I was aching so terribly for chippy… so I then chose this piece which had a good amount of finish still on it, and tada… now a charmingly chippy piece!
My transformation process:
- Uninstalled original hardware ~ unfortunately part of one pull was missing and I couldn’t find a replacement
- Mended a few damaged veneer areas with wood filler ~ a necessary and satisfying step
- Vacuumed and cleaned entire piece ~ water n’ vinegar is my tried and true
- Applied 3 coats of Homestead House ‘Milk Paint‘ in the colour ‘Combed Wool’ ~ a warm farmhouse white with a creamy yellow tone
- Lightly chiseled and sanded entire piece ~ and watched the chips fall where they may (soooooo fun and exciting this step)
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint ‘Hemp Oil’ to the entire piece for a protective and water-resistant surface ~ 100% all-natural sustainably sourced from Canadian farmers
- Installed new cast iron hardware from The Old Family Farmhouse ~ a Canadian Etsy Shop I was elated to find
- Lined drawers with a charming ‘Frosty White Lace’ Con-Tact self adhesive ~ a lil’ extra love goes a long way
If you too have been aching for a chippy piece, then this dresser is most certainly for YOU! A sweet ol’ piece that holds copious signs of aging… chipping, peeling, cracking… the WHOLE deal! Display as a statement piece in your home or cottage for an authentic farmhouse look n’ feel. Just lovely!
❤ This Charmingly Chippy Dresser ~ is FOR YOU ❤
DIMENSIONS: 36” H x 44” W x 20” D
$425 Now $399 + Tax
PURCHASE: Via My Etsy Shop
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.