We all know the rhyming wedding tradition… something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.
A time-honoured wedding tradition where brides have all four items on their wedding day for good luck. A custom many have followed for centuries. 👰🏼
Perhaps the tradition would permit all four in one?! Well if it would, I might just have the perfect item:
An OLD antique dresser,
that has been transformed into a NEW vanity-sink,
to be BORROWED from my beautiful niece Robyn on her wedding day (guest lavatory),
which I painted in the most charming BLUE. ☺️
Yes… we all know the traditional wedding rhyme. And we should also all know and understand what a true antique is… although the term antique is often used loosely to describe any object that is old… a true antique is at least 100 years old.
A true antique indeed this dresser is! While carefully disassembling the mirror in preparation for my transformation, I found this very old Winnipeg Free Press newspaper settled behind it. Although the date had been cut-off, I did some Googling from one of the obits, and learned that the paper was from February 1911! 108 years ago! Now that is OLD… and yes, that is a true antique!
Not all antiques should be painted. This I know and respect well. This one however, I felt was a worthy transformation candidate — a beautiful piece that could be accentuated and revitalized from a restoration! While still a very solid piece (with no mirror damage), the finish was flaking awayand it was flooded with dings, nicks, scratches, and water stains.
Although most definitely not my last, this was my first Dresser ➡ Vanity-Sink transformation. I have been ACHING to do one, and very impatiently waited for the right piece to come along. I researched plenty of how-to’s, found inspiration from a few fellow furniture artists — primarily the ever-so-talented Blue Peaches Furniture — which I encourage you to check out — Jessica’s work is breathtaking and always stops me in my tracks! After finding the perfect piece, researching, gaining inspiring ideas, and FINALLY deciding on a colour… I very carefully got to work with a lil’ help from my hubs. A labour of love that was so very worth our time:
- Disassembled mirror and removed incomplete set of original hardware ~ and learned while doing so that this piece is at least 108 years old
- Cut hole in top ~ in preparation for vessel sink placement
- Altered top 2 drawers, and cut hole in back ~ in preparation for plumbing hook-up
- Lightly sanded down entire piece ~ to best prepare for chalk paint adhesion
- Gave entire piece a good vacuum and cleaning ~ final prep before the real fun begins
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint’s ‘All-In-One Decor Paint’ in the colour ‘Happy Hour’ to the entire piece ~ a cheerful and subdued sea glass blue
- Applied 3 coats of Country Chic Paint’s ‘All-In-One Decor Paint’ in the colour ‘Simplicity’ to the interior drawers ~ a delightfully pure and clean white
- Sanded entire piece down (copiously in chosen areas where I wanted the wood to come through) ~ to achieve a sweetly imperfected and farmhouse chic look
- Applied 3 coats of Varathane’s ‘Diamond Wood Finish‘ (water-based, satin) to the entire piece ~ to achieve a crystal clear, water-resistant, and highly durable finish
- Installed new vessel sink and faucet ~ hook-up the plumbing, and you’re good to go
- Reassembled mirror, and installed new hardware ~ a lovely match with the sink and faucet
A true antique dresser (CIRCA 1911), that was achingly dull and longing for revitalization — now a breathtaking upcycled vanity-sink in the most cheerful and subdued sea glass blue colour. A custom and unique piece that will settle ever-so-sweetly into ones’ abode. Lavatory antique charm with a subtly sweet and sumptuous touch for YOU.
❤ This Antique Dresser Vanity-Sink ~ is FOR YOU (AFTER Robyn’s Wedding) ❤
DIMENSIONS: 33.5” + 41″ H x 38” W x 18.75” D
PRICE: $999 + Tax (NEW Sink/Faucet Included)
PURCHASE: Will Become Available Via My Etsy Shop on Sep 1 ’19
DEPOSIT: Will Secure for YOU
Pssst… did you notice my upcycled mason jars in the pics with this piece?! For those that might fancy them as much as I do, I’ve got a set just for YOU in my Etsy Shop! A practical, tidy and charming way to display florals, store hand soap, cosmetics, wipes n’ more! And my pumps are STAINLESS STEEL… that’s right — NO RUST… available in both ‘foaming’ and ‘liquid’ dispense form!👌🏻
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.
I invite you to learn more about the exquisitely charming Country Chic Paint products that I am over the moon in LOVE with, and use in ALL of my transformations. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Get 10% OFF Your First Country Chic Paint Order / Use Coupon Code: FARMLIFE10
Shop online at Country Chic Paint today! ❤️