Beauty cannot be judged objectively, for what one person finds beautiful or admirable may not appeal to another.
This proverb applies to many thingsincluding furniture. For me, I find beauty in both painted and stained furniture finishes, and I’m also of the opinion that many pieces should NOT be painted. Thoughtful consideration is given to each and every piece I am in possession of prior to transformation… including this exquisite antique sideboard/buffet I so graciously came upon.
The ever-so-kind couple I purchased this piece from, were moving and no longer had room for it… their children had no interest in having it… and they didn’t have the means to try and restore it themselves. This beautiful piece originally belonged to their Great-Grandmotheras such, it was well loved in their family for many years. They themselves felt its’ beauty could be accentuated from a restoration, but just hadn’t got around to doing so. They were happy to sell it to someone that clearly had much love and admiration for it that charmed someone being me. 😌
From the moment I set my eyes on it, I envisioned an accentuated transformation
Although a solid and beautiful piece, the finish was flaking awayand it was flooded with dings, nicks, scratches, and water stains.
Stripping, sanding and re-staining this piece certainly was an option… I however decided that painting the body and re-staining the top would result in a lovely restoration.
I personally adore the beauty of two-toned transformations. A refined elegance that offers an abundance of character and charm.
My accentuated transformation process:
- Removed hardware ~ and dug through my “stash” to find 2 replacement knobs for the mis-matched pair on lower doors
- Stripped and sanded top ~ with two-toned transformation plans in mind
- Lightly sanded down the body ~ to scuff away flaking finish, and to soften the flooding of dings, nicks, scratches and water stains
- Gave piece a good cleaning ~ water and vinegar does the trick
- Applied 3 coats of Country Chic Paint’s ‘All-In-One Decor Paint’ in the colour ‘Vanilla Frosting’ to the body ~ sweet farmhouse-white perfection
- Moderately sanded the body (firmly where I wanted the wood to come through) ~ to achieve a distressed look
- Applied Country Chic Paint’s ‘Furniture Glaze’ in the colour ‘Smoky Quartz’ to the body ~ to achieve depth, age and accentuation
- Applied 3 coats of Varathane’s ‘Diamond Wood Finish‘ (water-based, satin) to the body ~ to achieve a crystal clear and highly durable finish
- Conditioned, stained and varnished top with Minwax products ~ nothing but love for this quarter-cut oak top
- Reinstalled original and replacement hardware ~ a pretty good match if I might say so myself
- Stripped the green felt from the ONE drawer it had been installed in ~ I’d be lying if I said this part was fun
- Gave entire piece another good cleaning ~ with my tried and true water and vinegar
- Lined drawers with a charming adhesive ~ for a lil’ made-with-love added touch
If you love farmhouse chic, adore sweet imperfections, and behold beauty in two-toned distressed furniture finishesthis timelessly elegant antique would make a lovely addition in your abode. Dovetail drawers, ornate carvings, handsome clawfeet, creaking caster-wheels, charming quarter-cut oak top, original hardware… to mention only a small bite of the deliciousness in this piece! Transformed with harmonious hues… offering a delightfully pleasing fit for ANY decor.
❤ This Tiger/Quarter-Cut Oak Antique Sideboard ~ is FOR YOU ❤
DIMENSIONS: 39.25” / 54” H / x 48” W x 23.25” D
$895 / Now $799 + Tax
PURCHASE: Via My Etsy Shop
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.
I invite you to learn more about the exquisitely charming Country Chic Paint products that I am over the moon in LOVE with, and use in ALL of my transformations. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Get 10% OFF Your First Country Chic Paint Order / Use Coupon Code: FARMLIFE10
Shop online at Country Chic Paint today! ❤