The ‘Hope Chest’ dates back centuries, revealing a rich and fascinating history. Originating at a time when marriage included the exchange of property between families, hope chests were once used for storing marriage necessities and essential home goods for young women. One can only imagine what one may have stored in this dowry years ago.
Standing at 20″ H x 40″ L x 18.75″ D, this charming Red Seal Cedar Chest — crafted by the Honderich Furniture Company in Milverton, Ontario CANADA circa 1930’s has been refreshed and transformed for YOU! ❤
And just how did I refresh and transform this vintage treasure you ask? Quite exquisitely my friends:
- Gave entire piece a good ol’ cleaning ~ water and vinegar does the trick
- Applied 3 coats of Country Chic Paint’s ‘All-In-One Decor Paint’ in the colour ‘Sunday Tea’ ~ its’ name says it all about this delightfully warm country beige colour
- Gave entire piece a light sand, and distressed in desired areas ~ for the charmingly aged look I desired
- Applied 1 coat of Country Chic Paint’s ‘Natural Wax’ to the entire piece ~ for a smooth and buttery finish
- Applied Country Chic Paint’s ‘Antiquing Dust’ in the colour ‘Willow’ ~ for an authentic-looking aged effect
- After letting the dust settle for 30 minutes, I then buffed the entire piece ~ leaving only sweet subtle traces of time-worn dust
Not Just a Hope Chest…
Although once intended for storing marriage necessities and essential home goods, this tried-and-true treasure has evolved over time to remain a practical piece of furniture in homes. So many sweet items that you could store in this charming walnut chest lined with fragrant cedar: LINGERIE & SLEEPWEAR | LINENS & LACE | PILLOWS & THROWS | PHOTOS & HEIRLOOMS | BED SHEETS & BLANKETS ❤
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.
I invite you to learn more about the exquisitely charming Country Chic Paint products that I am over the moon in LOVE with, and use in ALL of my transformations. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.