What girl doesn’t want a hope chest?! Although a hope chest (also known as a dowry chest, cedar chest, trousseau chest or glory box) is traditionally used to collect items such as clothing and household linen, by unmarried young women in anticipation of married life; every girl should have one — married, single, young or old!
I was just about to leave one of my fav local thrift stores, when this charming cedar chest was being brought in — timing is sometimes so perfect! I’m confident I will come across more chests amidst my thrift shopping, so this one my friends isn’t for me — rather it is just for YOU! ❤
Although it was solid, and still held the warm, woodsy aroma of cedar — the exterior was worn, the hardware was tattered, and the top of the lid was badly cracked and faded — but I just knew I could restore it for someone that would enjoy it for years!
My process of restoring this piece just for you, was truly an enjoyable one (as are all my furniture restorations) — and it went like this:
- Lightly sanded worn exterior
- Mended cracked lid
- Removed tattered hardware, lid and handles
- Stained and varnished lid and handles with Varathane’s ‘Premium Wood Stain’ in the colour ‘Espresso’, and ‘Fast Drying Professional Clear Finish 1100 Satin Oil Based’
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint’s ‘All-In-One Decor Paint’ in the colour ‘Happy Hour’
- Lightly distressed with sanding block
- Applied 1 coat of Country Chic Paint’s ‘Natural Wax’
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint’s ‘Metallic Accent Cream’ in the colour ‘Belt Buckle’ to the hardware
What will you fill this charming chest with?! Whether it be clothing, household linen, keepsakes, or a collection of items — my hope is for it to find a home in which it will be enjoyed, and treasured for many years! A chest full of hope, just for you! ❤
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤